Saturday, March 21, 2015


With the weather being what it is here in the midwest, I haven't spent much time in the train room.  I found these K-Line Alcos on ebay and immediately bid on them and finally won. They will be kitbashed into Toshiba EH-500s, narrow gauge (3' 6" gauge) engines, but mine will be standard gauge.

Steampunk Steamer

Here is my first attempt at a Steampunk steam engine. It is built on a Lionel chassis from the Thomas series.  I have cut up a Lionel 027 2-dome tank car to be used as the boiler. The engine will be running backward when running forward as the motor area (shown at the right) is the back of the model and now it is the front.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

MTH Overton Rebuild

One of my current projects is the rebuilding of an MTH Overton Coach. This coach had a melted roof, so I am rebuilding the body and converting the underframe from 3-rail to 2-rail. The roof still needs work, but the underframe is finished. I will have a construction article ready shortly.

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Track is Finished

The 1st day of the new year and the track work and wiring are complete. Next comes planning the sites and the scenery.  Only took five months from the benchwork until completion. At least I have gotten this far; my first two layouts were scrapped before all of the track was down.  It just takes a lot of time to build a train layout and I don't enjoy laying track on cork and adding the ballast.

Monday, December 29, 2014

Switches Installed

The switch at Highbridge (left switch)
With a bit more work, the switches were finally in place.  The left one shown here went in easily while the right switch had a bit of trouble.  The holes through the layers of plywood were not big enough so I had to reach under the board and pull the wires through, redrill the holes and then fish the wires back up.  Then once installed, the LED on the position marker didn't work. Since the switch worked, I didn't bother worrying about the light.

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Board #3 Wiring Completed

Good progress has been made over Christmas break. Board 3 is now wired and both boards have been reinstalled on the cabinets. Now comes the job of hooking the wires up to the tracks and installing the tracks on the Inner and Outer Loops, both switches, and Sidings #1 and #2.